Protecting the Environment
Rotary shares an interest in protecting our common legacy: the environment.
We are committed to supporting activities that strengthen the conservation and protection of natural resources, advance ecological sustainability, and foster harmony between communities and the environment. We empower communities to access grants and other resources, embrace local solutions, and spur innovation in an effort to address the causes and reduce the effects of climate change and environmental degradation.
How Rotary makes help happen
Rotary members are tackling environmental issues the way they always do: coming up with projects, using their connections to change policy and planning for the future.
Rotarians understand that the whole world is their backyard. See what members are doing now to protect the environment.
Tackling a contentious issue in rancorous times, the Citizens’ Climate Lobby brings an evenhanded approach to advocacy.
Helping the environment
Will climate change bring more poverty? Will we be able to stop its worst effects? Former Rotary scholars and peace fellows who studied environmental issues offer their thoughts.
How Rotary will help protect our planet
The Rotary Foundation will enable our members and their community allies
to take action in these ways:
in Foundation global grant funding has been allocated to environment-related causes in the past five years through our support of community economic development and water, sanitation, and hygiene projects
- Protecting and restoring land, coastal, marine, and freshwater resources
- Enhancing the capacity of communities to support natural resource management and conservation
- Supporting sustainable agriculture, fishing, and aquaculture practices
- Addressing the cause of climate change by reducing the emission of greenhouse gases
- Strengthening ecosystems and communities affected by climate change
- Supporting education initiatives that promote behavior that protects the environment
- Advocating for sustainable consumption to build an economy that uses resources more efficiently
- Addressing environmental justice issues and public health concerns